Within the Learning Technology Team, we’re regularly asked to investigate additional tools and support staff in their delivery of teaching using the technologies we already have access to, for example, Blackboard, Pebblepad, Turnitin, Camtasia relay, Techsmith Fuse etc.
However, sometimes we need to investigate other technologies which may provide support in other areas of your teaching. One example recently was Padlet, which is an online noticeboard, and can be used for making announcements, keeping notes and online brainstorming.
The beauty of Padlet is it requires no sign in, additional accounts aren’t required by students, it can be embedded in Blackboard and displays very well on mobile devices.
So with that, we’ve compiled a list of some of our favourite tools below. If you wish to suggest any other technology that would benefit staff and students in their teaching and learning, then please use the contact form here to submit your recommendation/s
Our Top Tools – June 2019
- Sway- You can embed a variety of resources into Sway, e.g. images, audio, video, maps, animations, presentations from Office Mix etc, and then share it online.
- Padlet – Padlet is an online noticeboard, which means it can be used for making announcements, keeping notes and online brainstorming.
- Skype for Business – Messaging, meetings, and screen sharing all in one app that works with Office.
- Polleverywhere – Poll Everywhere is an easy way to gather live responses in any venue: conferences, presentations, classrooms, etc – using SMS, web, or Twitter.
- Camtasia – Techsmith’s Camtasia is a tool to record, edit and enhance on-screen activity in the form of screencasts.
- Office Mix – A free PowerPoint add-in to create and share interactive online videos.
- OneNote – OneNote is note-taking software for capturing all of your ideas and to-dos on the go, brought to you by Microsoft Office.
- Pixlr Express – Pixlr Express is a popular web-based photo editor that makes editing photos easy. Apply overlays, filters, and stickers to make any photo beautiful.
- Answer Garden – Use it for real time audience participation, online brainstorming and feedback.
- ClassTools.net – Create free games, quizzes, activities, and diagrams some of which you can embed in Blackboard. We like the Movie Text Scroller.
- Lightshot – A simple and convenient screenshot tool to add to the Chrome Browser. Select an area, edit your screenshot and save or share via social media.
Below are some link to some other great educational tools