The university’s Academic Regulations are designed to ensure the university is able to fulfil its responsibilities under the Articles of Government in exercising its degree awarding powers.
Academic Procedures and Processes
The Academic Procedures and Processes (including the Procedures and Processes for Collaborative Provision) expand on the Academic Regulations, providing more detail about how the Academic Regulations operate in practice.
The Academic Procedures and Processes contains the following:
- Contents (Appx 1)
- Qualification and Level Descriptors (Appx 2) – These are based on QAA’s Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ).
- University-wide Grade Descriptors (Appx 3a) – These provide assessment criteria from Level 3 to Level 7.
- Procedures Governing the Marking and Moderation of Assessment (Appx 3b) – These provide detail about the range of marking and moderation practices used by the university that help ensure consistency and assure standards. AQD’s Guidelines for Good Assessment Practice are available on the staff intranet.
- The Conduct of Assessment (Appx 3c) – This provides detail about practical arrangements for assessment such as submission deadlines, word limits, etc.
- Policy and Procedures Governing Academic Malpractice (Appx 3d) – This defines academic malpractice and details the scope of penalties available to address such cases.
- Confidentiality Policy – This relates to the confidentiality of subjects in students’ assessment.
- Extenuating Circumstance Procedures (Appx 3e) – This defines extenuating circumstances and details how they are considered and acted upon.
- Conduct and Operation of Assessment Boards (Appx 3f) – This details how the University’s two tier assessment board process operates.
- Transcripts and Parchments (Appx 3g) – This provides a summary of content of the University’s transcripts.
The arrangements for External Examining is detailed in a number of procedures:
- Roles and Responsibilities in External Examining (Appx 4a)
- Criteria for Appointment of External Examiners and Procedures for Early Termination of Contract (Appx 4b)
- Guidelines for the Selection and Approval of Potential External Examiners (Appx 4c)
- Procedures for Appointing External Examiners (Appx 4d)
- Reporting Procedures (Appx 4e)
- Information for External Examiners (Appx 4f)
AQD also has a page dedicated to External Examiners.
Academic Appeals Procedures (Appx 5) – This defines academic appeals and details how the University considers and acts upon claims.
Procedures for the Award of Credit for Prior Learning (APL) (Appx 6) – This defines the limits of APL and details how claims for APL are processed and considered. Claims for APL are made via a dedicated APL team with Admissions who have a range of guidance available.
Degree and Award Ceremony Procedures (New – Appx 7)
Policy and Procedures for Collaborative Provision – This defines Collaborative Provision and details the processes in place to approve and manage collaborative partnerships. AQD has a page dedicated to collaborative provision. Collaborative Provision is more widely supported by the Academic Partnerships Team.